Wednesday, October 13, 2010

October 13, 2010

Good Evening! I was 99% sure I was going to skip posting today. It was a really hard day for many reasons in which I will not bore you with. I then sat down at my computer and found a quote that really made me start to think how insignificant my problems were. I will share that quote and then elaborate....

"Although its light is wide and great, the Moon is
reflected in a puddle one inch wide. The whole Moon
and the entire sky is reflected in one dew drop on the
grass." — Dogen



When I first read this quote, I said to myself, "Wow, I really like that!,"  and then I really stopped to reflect upon it. We live in this enormous universe. We are just specks in this great big world. Have you ever stood in front of the ocean and looked out and wondered just who you are....where you came from? I know I have. There you are, small and meek, in front of one of the most ferocious beasts in the world. It is so fierce and merciless, yet so beautiful. So full of rage, yet so calming. This alluring monstrosity is so much bigger than me. It is bigger than any of us. The same thing that I dream of making love near can take down a town, a city, hell even a state, in a matter of seconds! So just who am I in comparison? I am not sure I will ever know.

Just like the Ocean the Moon is a special entity. If you close one eye and hold out your thumb, the moon is no bigger. A mere illusion can make you think that you can hold the moon and all it's glory right in the palm of your hand. The same moon that drives the feral howl from the wolf. The power the moon holds over us is vast. This same moon can calm your fears. How can the same moon along with a lullaby put a baby to sleep, draw the animal out of man? So lumenous, so mesmerizing, yet reflected in a drop of dew.

It really does make one wonder. By the works of the moon and the ocean, among other works of nature, our world turns. The turning gives us seconds, minutes, hours, day and years. It gives us chance after chance to learn and make mistakes. To feel great emotions, to desire. Gives us the chance to breathe and to feel sadness and joy. The universe is  like the great and powerful Oz. It is big and demanding, but behind the curtain it is giving and kind. It provides everything you or I could ever need. Just who are we to ever ask for more.

The next time you stand on a beach at sunset, with waves singing you a melody or in a desert under the full moon, listening to the howl of what is left of a man, give thanks for the little things. It is the smallest tokens that give us the greatest wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment